Monday, December 28, 2009

The War of the Roses

Today the rose bushes and I had our annual "discussion", (argument is more like it), about wintertime and going to bare-root stage.  The roses, as always, put up the argument that winter had not arrived yet, as evidenced by the sunshine and moderate temperatures.  There is no way it could be time to go dormant, they postulated, why else would they have all these green leaves and flowers all over themselves. 

It wasn't fair they complained, the Geraniums could stay all green and flowery and the roses weren't allowed to, and if I came near them with those clippers, they would defend themselves with all the thorns they could muster. 

I tried to reason with them about how it was nearly January, and that in order for them to grow and bloom properly they need to be cut back, but they would have none of it and defended themselves strenuously.  They tried to scratch and poke and claw at me, but in the end I won out, (as in years past). 

The yard waste can is now full of rose branches, and there they sit, a row of bare rose canes poking up in the flowerbed. 

I swear I thought I heard the daisies snickering.

No comments:

Post a Comment